This morning, the database server hosting the DirTeam.com / ActiveDir.org weblogs was successfully upgraded from SQL Server 2000 Standard to SQL Server 2008 Standard.
This upgrade was tested extensively before we put it in production.
You might have noticed…
As a (frequent) visitor of our website, you may have encountered an “Oops, something went wrong” error this morning for about five minutes. This was caused by the inavailability of the database for that period when we switched from the old database server to the new server.
We kindly asked our current bloggers to refrain from creating new blogpost on the production server for the last couple of days to accommodate the server switch. This way, we prevented blogpost from appearing and disappearing. Of course, with the switch complete, we will return to our normal frequency of posting blogposts.
Our main plan was to migrate to SQL Server 2005 Standard, but this errored out every time due to a .Net Framework mismatch with the upgrade wizard and the Operating System.
In the coming days we will monitor the database server for anomalies.
With the Operating Systems, SQL Server and .Net Framework updated, the DirTeam.com / ActiveDir.org weblogs have entered a state where the CommunityServer installation is easily upgraded to a more recent version. In the background, we will continue to prepare for these upgrades.
Can you feel it…
If you feel the performance of the website has increased, please note it in the comments below.
It’s always nice to hear from you!
Special thanks goes out to Chris Petit.